Thursday, November 21, 2019

Watercolor Sketching; Sketching Flowers

Yes, I am fully aware that it is almost December and all of the flowers in the Midwest are gone until spring.  I also listen to Jimmy Buffet music in the cold weather as well.  Why would I do this you may ask, well, I will tell you.  I HATE THE COLD WEATHER.  Yes, I do.  I listen to tropical summer music and paint flowers to get my mind into a place where I want to be.  I have mentioned before about using your art as a way of story telling for the viewer.  Well, as it happens, you can also make up stories yourself.  Whenever I paint, my mind does a little wandering.  Oh yes, I am still concentrating on my work, but I still drift off now and then to a place, time or situation that makes me feel good.  For instance, in January when it's five degrees outside and the wind is blowing and your face hurts three seconds after you go out, I may imagine myself someplace warm, maybe sitting on a beach painting a seascape.  I might be thinking about the great Fourth of July Holiday I had last year in Baileys Harbor, WI and painting on the wharf.  It may sound juvenile, but to a degree, the emotions you have while you are painting can come out in your work.  Yes, I am telling you the truth.  Always put yourself in a mind set of peace when you paint.  If you feel happy, your work will reflect it.  If your stressed out and angry, your work will also reflect that as well.  Remember, your inner artist is actually painting, make sure they are happy.  If you can get past the laughter you are doing at this moment and try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.  Your paintings can reflect you, and often times, you are not even aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment