Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Watercolor Painting; Less Is More.

There is a saying I learned going to art school.  "When it comes to art, less is more" I have no idea where that saying originated from or how old it is, I do know however, that it is completely true.  Everyone who has created art has, at times, struggled with the concept of when is my painting finished.  Most of us try to imagine and then paint that last detail that we are so sure will make this a masterpiece rivaling the Mona Lisa.  The harsh reality is this, when we over work a painting, it looks over worked.  It looks flat, it looks too complicated and for the most part, it looks like bad art. Knowing when to say when has always been difficult for people.  For the life of me, I do not know why, but I can tell you, I suffer from that affliction as well.  This painting pictured here is actually a victory for me with the less is more concept.  I only used a select few colors and added only a select few landscape elements.  Once I put the matt over the painting, I knew it was done.  Now don't get me wrong, this will not rival the Mona Lisa, but it is aesthetically pleasing.  It is simple in construction, but when you look at it, it doesn't cry out that anything is missing.  Word to the wise.  When you begin to search for something else to add to your painting, stop.  Put it aside for a few days.  When you come back, put a matt over it, even if it is an acrylic or oil painting.  I know you don't use matts for those mediums, but it still gives you a frame like impression of your work that will help you decide if your work is in fact finished or in need of something else.  Always stop before you are sure it is done.  Stopping too soon leaves you room for changes, stopping too late means your work is ruined.

No comments:

Post a Comment