Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Looks Can Be Deceiving

When I first started painting, I really tried to keep my studio tidy.  In the beginning, my studio was a TV tray in the living room.  Never the less, I always thought things should be organized.  They should be, but sometimes, something can look completely chaotic, and still be very organized.  Let me introduce you to my watercolor pallet.  This is the pallet and colors I use for my studio work.  It is comprised mainly of Daniel Smith watercolor paint (great paint by the way) and a plastic butchers tray from Hobby Lobby.  After each painting session, I would take a wet paper towel and clean the mixing area of my pallet until one day it dawned on me, those color mixes I worked so hard to get are now gone and I have to start all over again.  My colors are laid out starting with my yellows and ending with Paynes Gray.  I now leave my mixes in tact.  I use them daily and for the life of me, I do not know why I did not see this much earlier in my art career.  Even though this may look like a mess, I know where every color and mix I use is.  I can mix more colors easily because the color I want is still there.  Matching colors is much easier.  I still keep my studio very tidy, but my pallet remains a symphony of perfect colors masked by perceived chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment