Friday, November 1, 2019

Watercolor Sketching People and Greens

Hello Everyone;
I hope you don't mind, but watercolor sketching will play a big part in this blog.  When I was in art school, I resisted sketching something fierce.  I, for some stupid reason thought sketching was a waste of time.  Thank God we get smarter as we get older.  I have found sketching to be an invaluable asset to my work.  Sketching is allows us to practice without reservations since no one sees our sketch book unless we allow it.  Sketching is a perfect place to try new ideas to help us loosen up and think out of the box.  Sketching is a perfect way to take fears of trying new, and possible crazy things with our art.  Lastly, I have found sketching to be a whole lot of fun.
Take this page from my sketch book.  I was tired on day after work and really did not have it in me to paint a studio piece.  I grabbed my sketchbook and began to doodle some people.  A couple of different hair styles, a couple of different sizes, nothing technical, just loose, fun sketching.  Before I finished up, I thought, maybe I can try and create a few more greens for me to use in my studio pieces.  I am a landscape artist, so greens are a major part of my pallet.  So I played with a few colors to see what kind of greens I could make.  I found a couple I can use in paintings.  Wow, no energy to paint, but in twenty minutes, I found a couple of new greens to use and I am getting better at painting people.  Sketching is a really valuable practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment