Thursday, April 23, 2020

How About A New Watercolor Painting?

Hello All;
I hope everyone is doing well.  Today I had nothing on my mind.  Normally, when I get ready to paint I usually have something in mind.  Whether it is what medium I will be using or what subject matter I would paint.  Today, I had no idea.  I walked into my studio not even really knowing if I wanted to paint or just sit on the couch and watch re runs of A Big Bang Theory.  Unless I am sick, I pick painting over watching television pretty much every time.  Whenever I am not sure of what I am doing, I always pick up my watercolors and my sketch book and I doodle.  Sometimes I swatch the colors I swatched a hundred times over already, but the trick is to put paint to paper.  I did that for about fifteen minutes or so when an image came into my mind.  There it is.  I went from doodling to a finished painting within the same studio time.  Even if your main medium is not watercolors, keep a small sketch book and a small travel set with you for those artist block occasions.  Watercolor doodling or sketching is a great way to get your mind into a painting frame work.  Once that happens, then grab your preferred medium and go at it.  I talk to so many people that are somewhat new to art and they insist on everything being perfect before they can paint anything.  Whenever I can, I tell them, just paint.  It really does not matter what you paint so long as you put paint to paper.  Once you start painting, doodling or whatever you want to call it, your creative side will eventually take over and your artist block is gone.  Try it, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.  Have a Blessed and safe day my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment